Monday, February 11, 2008

MAXIMS for Spiritual Leadership

(adapted & revised from information given by Dr. Jim Bradford)

1 Timothy 4:11-16
Command and teach these things. Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

My Life
1. Know God: If my place in ministry was taken from me would I still have a personal, growing relationship with Jesus?

2. Pursue Integrity: Are there areas of ongoing secrecy in my life that I am trying to intentionally hide from those closest to me?

3. Be Yourself: How often do I hear people say, “Thank you for your authenticity.”

4. Own Responsibility: Do I acknowledge my mistakes or do I project blame and use my ministry platform to vent unresolved anger?

5. Embrace Change: Is my attitude faith-filled and future-focused or am I overly nostalgic of the past and fearful of taking risk in the present?

6. Love Learning: Am I coasting intellectually or am I applying myself to the disciplines of personal study and reflection? (“I want to live until I die.”)

7. Live Joyfully: Am I living under self-imposed pressure of always having to prove something to somebody?

My Task
1. Model Servant hood: The primary role of a leader is to serve.

2. Set Attitude: Attitude is everything. You may not have control over your circumstances, but you always have the choice in how you will react and live it out.

3. Cast Vision: Relaying our vision to others builds momentum and enthusiasm. People want to be a part of something that is in motion.

4. Develop Authority: As I delegate responsibility and authority, it is up to you to wisely administrate it. Authority doesn’t guarantee respect. Respect is only earned when you exercise responsibility, follow-through and mutual respect.

5. Require Excellence: God gave His absolute best to us by offering Jesus to die in our place. Then He added the cherry on top by giving us His Holy Spirit and the gifts that accompany Him. Why should we offer any less than our best to Him in ministry?

6. Show Appreciation: Displaying thanks and appreciation to your volunteers and supporters will greatly increases your chances of a repeat performance.

No comments: